Originally published 1943 by Theosophical University Press. Theosophical University Press electronic version ISBN 1-55700-064-6. For ease of searching, no diacritical marks appear in this electronic version of the text.
This book is published in commemoration of the passing of Dr. G. de Purucker on September 27, 1942. Since that memorable date the fellowship of the Theosophical Society (Covina) will have been expecting some such recognition of their late Leader, knowing that in his many still unpublished addresses and official pronouncements there was a wealth of Theosophical teaching that would sooner or later be compiled into one or more books. Sharing the thought of the general fellowship, the Cabinet of the Society and the Literary Department at Headquarters have given the matter thoughtful consideration, and this first book, posthumously issued, is the result.
But it is not a book of technical teaching. It is a book stating the policies of the T. S. In the light of G. de P.'s years of leadership it is interesting to have these policies, as presented at various places and times and covering a period of thirteen years, gathered together for study and reflexion. Open to the obvious criticism of some repetition, the articles and addresses have been left by the compilers as originally given, without doctoring, in order to show the consistency of aim and objective which stamped G. de P.'s work and achievement; and in order to emphasize the fact that his words in this book with an almost dogged and urgent persistence hammer home the same traditional and wise policy first inaugurated for the T. S. by H. P. Blavatsky.
It should not, however, be merely interesting to note this. It is vital. If the T. S. is to live and to thrive, this same policy as given by H. P. B. must be part of the blood and tissue of each of the component parts of the wide-spread Theosophical Movement, that is, it must be known, understood, studied and practised by every F. T. S. in all of the various Theosophical Societies. That way alone can life be assured them. Otherwise they die. This recognition of the original policy is far more important than an outer unification of these Societies, for in effect it would be the most radical step in that direction. If we fail to be thus guided the T. S. will perish either from cancerous growths or from gradual but none the less certain atrophy.
"The Theosophical Movement today," writes G. de P. in this book (vide the article, "Back to Brotherhood," p. 195), "is reaping the karmic consequences of past errors, and, alas, in many cases, of mistaken views. But this very fact makes it incumbent upon all those possessed of some Theosophical influence, however small, to aid in guiding our common ship towards the spiritual North Pole towards which in the beginning its course was set by the Masters of Wisdom and Compassion and Peace."
To aid us steer our course by the light of that Star is why this book is now published.
In several more months, if present plans mature, a book on Theosophical teaching will follow, possibly two books. In the meantime it is not perhaps more teaching that we all need, but application in daily life of what we have learned.
* * * *
Only a brief word is needed about the arrangement of this volume. The first section includes Dr. de Purucker's Letters and Addresses to Conventions between the years 1931-1939. For historical purposes the date and place of each Convention are given.
The second section contains editorials. These were published in THE THEOSOPHICAL FORUM between the years 1937-1942. Exceptions to this are the articles "Back to Brotherhood," which first appeared in The Occult Review, London, July 1932, and the article "What is Technical Theosophy?", which was an answer given to a question asked at the Convention of the American Section, Boston, on October 15, 1933.
The third section contains extracts from general letters to the membership and personal letters to F. T. S. In the latter case these are reproduced with the permission of the recipients.
References to Point Loma, California, as the International Headquarters of the T. S. are of course left as historically correct, as the moving of the Headquarters to its present location near Covina, California, did not take place until June 2, 1942. This move marked in a very definite way the last important official act of Dr. de Purucker's life.International Theosophical Headquarters,
Theosophical Society Homepage
TUP Online Menu
Theosophical University Press, publishing and distributing theosophical literature since 1886: PO Box C, Pasadena, CA 91109-7107 USA; email: email@example.com; voice: (626) 798-3378. Free printed catalog available on request; also online at TUP Catalog.